Ingredients (to serve 8)
- 1.8kg/4lb lean whole shoulder of lamb
- For the Herb Butter:
- 50g/2oz unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- For the Vegetables:
- 5 small red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 600ml/1pint good, hot lamb stock
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped[/vc_column]
Prep Time: 25 mins Total Time: 265 mins Difficulty Rating: 2 out of 5
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F. Prepare the herb butter; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together. Put the onions and celery in the base of a 2.8L/5pint flame/heatproof dish or roasting tin. Put the lamb on a chopping board and lightly score the surface with a sharp knife. Spread the herb butter over the joint and place on top of the vegetables, pour over the stock, cover with foil and transfer to the oven for 3½ hours. Remove the foil, add the butternut squash, return to the oven and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
Transfer the lamb and vegetables to a large platter and keep warm. Skim the fat from the dish leaving behind the meat juices. Serve the lamb with the vegetables, meat juices and creamy mash.