Ingredients (to serve 6)
We stock the majority of the ingredients required..
- 1.3kg/3lb lean lamb leg, shoulder or half shoulder joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced lengthways
- 2 large sprigs fresh rosemary leaves
- 15ml/1tbsp olive oil
- 45ml/3tbsp lemon marmalade, melted
- For the Gravy:
- 15ml/1tbsp plain flour
- 600ml/ 1pint good, hot lamb stock, homemade, if preferred
- For the Mint Sauce (makes 150ml):
- 1 x 30g pack fresh mint leaves, stalks removed
- 60ml/tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 150ml/¼pint boiling water
- 150ml/pint white wine vinegar
Prep Time: 15 mins Total Time: 75 mins Difficulty Rating: 2 out of 5
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F. Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slits on both sides. Season. In a small bowl mix together the lemon zest, garlic, rosemary leaves and oil. Stuff the mixture into the slits, brush with any of the remaining mixture, place the joint on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and cover and roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time. 40 minutes before the end of the cooking time remove the foil.
10-15 minutes before the end of the cooking time glaze the joint with the lemon marmalade. To prepare the mint sauce: pound together the mint leaves and sugar in a mortar and pestle to a rough paste. Alternately place in a food processor or blender and blend to a paste. Add the boiling water and leave to infuse for 5-10 minutes.